OF THE UNIVERSITY NETWORK OF
EUROPEAN CAPITALS OF CULTURE (UNeECC)
Article I. Name
The name of the association is University Network of European Capitals of Culture. The official acronym is UNeECC which may be indicated and used in any official correspondence of the member universities and member institutions if so desired.
Article II. Mission and Aims
The general aim of UNeECC, an international non-profit association of universities and institutions which are situated in “Cities of Culture and Education” themselves, is
- to ensure the recognition of the role and contribution of universities to the success of the cities conferred the title “European Capital of Culture”
- to provide the member universities with a possibility of a continuous and full participation in the European Capitals of Culture movement enhanced by “Universities of the Year”
- to foster inter-university cooperation to develop and reshape the universities regional position to create new activities for city and university collaboration
To this effect UNeECC will pursue and encourage the following activities:
- participation in the development of cultural identities for “Cities of Culture and Education” through cooperation of universities, cities and regions
- coordination of the ideas and actions of its members through regular exchange of information on issues of common interest
- promotion of cooperation in the organization of conferences and festivals, the preparation of common educational programs (e.g. joint degree projects, summer universities, internships, placements) and the furthering of cultural, higher educational and community research
- encouraging mobility network for students and staff
In order to accomplish these tasks, UNeECC will maintain links with national and international organizations the activities of which are relevant to universities.
Article III. Membership and Members’ Obligations
UNeECC invites membership in three different categories:
– Full Membership: from cities of the European Capitals of Culture
– Associate Membership: from applicant cities
– Supportive Membership: all others including cities and cultural organizations with parallel interests
Application should proceed by the submission of the Application Form to the UNeECC Secretariat. The Application form is in the Annex to the Statute.
Applications for membership will be reviewed by the Board and proposed to the General Assembly (GA). The GA is entitled to pass decisions concerning memberships.
The Board will decide on the procedure to collect membership fees. The General Secretary will inform the members of the procedure, invite them to pay their contribution, follow up the payments and report to the Board and the General Assembly.
Members are obliged to pay their institutional membership fees of 300 EUR annually, but they are not liable for any debts UNeECC as an organization may accrue. Members may participate in the activities of UNeECC only if their membership fees have been paid.
Institutions which had previously been admitted as members but fail to fulfill the criteria set in this Statute (e.g. payment of membership fees, loss of institutional accreditation by their national authorities) may be suspended as active members. Members may be suspended or excluded from UNeECC for a just reason by the proposal coming from the Board to the GA. A suspended or excluded member may appeal against the decision of the GA to the President in writing.
Members may terminate their membership in UNeECC at the end of a financial year by giving three months advance notice to the President in writing.
The organization with valid memberships comes into being on the day of the Founding Assembly.
Article IV. Bodies and Officers of UNeECC
- The General Assembly
- The President (elected for 3 years)
- The Two Vice Presidents (elected for 3 years)
- Vice Presidents of the year (in office for one year)
- The Board
- Task Force Group appointed by the Board (optional)
Article V: Executive Management of UNeECC
- The UNeECC Secretariat
- The General Secretary of UNeECC
Article VI. The General Assembly
The General Assembly is the governing body of the UNeECC. It establishes the objectives and determines the policies.
The General Assembly has authority to:
- amend the Statute of UNeECC
- decide on the amount of membership fees
- elect the President, the two Vice-Presidents upon proposal by the Board
- adopt reports on UNeECC activities, including its financial activity reports
- consider the general policy of UNeECC and give guidance to the Board for action until the next General Assembly
- pass decisions in matters of membership
- approve of the annual budget, including the budgets for designated activities, and decide on the amount and the method of payment of membership fees and contribution to particular programs
In addition, it exercises authority on all issues for which it is entitled by the Statute.
Ordinary meetings of the General Assembly shall be held during the Annual General Assembly, a conference held once a year.
The official language at the meetings of the GA and the Board will be English.
Further meetings of the GA shall be called by the President or upon request of the Board or one third of the members of UNeECC.
Every member institution is represented at the General Assembly by its rector/president or their delegated representative.
One representative of each member university and member institution that has paid its membership fee shall have the right to vote.
The agenda of each General Assembly shall contain a review of the administration of UNeECC pursuant to the authority granted to the General Secretary and the UNeECC Secretariat by the Statute.
Decisions of the General Assembly shall be determined by a plain majority of those present and eligible for voting.
The Chairperson of the General Assembly shall be the current President of UNeECC.
Article VII. The Board
The Board shall be composed of the President, the two Vice-Presidents, the four Board members, the General Secretary and a representative of the university organizing the subsequent GA.
The President, in his absence a Vice President, shall preside at the meetings of the Board.
The Board shall meet in session twice a year, one of which is preferred to be held at the time of the GA.
Decisions shall be taken by a plain majority of the members present. The President shall have a casting vote.
Observers may attend meetings of the Board by invitation, but they may not vote.
The Board may also take decisions by e-mail or snail-mail correspondence. Such decisions shall be made valid by a plain majority of all Board members.
The Board shall exercise the following administrative responsibilities:
- see to the accomplishment of the decisions taken by the General Assembly
- submit recommendations and proposals to the Presidency
- approve of the program of activities of UNeECC and supervise their execution
- Supervise the activities of the General Secretary and see to their execution
- approve of the annual budget for proposal to the GA, including the budgets for designated activities, and decide on the amount and the method of payment of the membership fee as well as the contribution to particular program
- adopt the annual financial statements for proposal to the GA
- make proposals to the GA on the admission and exclusion of members
The Board may assume the following responsibilities regarding general policy or particular projects:
- consider any action that may contribute to the achievement of the objectives of UNeECC upon a qualified proposal
- appoint working groups to undertake specific activities
The Board shall prepare the General Assembly together with the host institution according to the instructions of the Presidency
One of the Vice Presidents shall substitute for the President at his request in his absence The General Secretary shall supervise the budget and the accounts and present financial reports to the Board and the GA.
Article VIII. The Presidency
UNeECC Presidency consists of the President and the two Vice Presidents.
- The President is elected by the General Assembly for a three-year period.
- The President shall preside at meetings of the General Assembly and the Board.
- The President reports to the GA on all activities of UNeECC.
- The President shall further assume some specific responsibilities specified in the Statute.
Vice Presidents are elected for a three-year period. Under normal circumstances, the rector or a vice rector whose university is hosting a GA is to be proposed for Vice President of UNeECC. It is desirable that each year’s GA be held at a university the city of which bears the title European Capital of Culture that very year.
Article IX. Membership Fees and Annual Auditions
Member universities and member institutions pay annual membership fees to the account of the UNeECC Secretariat. The membership fee is determined by the GA on the proposal of the Board.
The UNeECC Secretariat is hosted by the University of Pécs, Hungary. The Secretariat is responsible for managing the UNeECC account.
The financial resources of UNeECC are membership fees, possible contributions from the national governments, grants, foundations and sponsors.
The financial year of UNeECC shall run from January 1 to December 31.
The GA should approve of the annual financial report prepared for the GA meeting by the UNeECC Secretariat.
Article X. Legal Domicile
For the purposes of legal incorporation, UNeECC is organized as a non-governmental organization (NGO). Its permanent office is at the University of Pécs, Hungary.
Article XI. Amendments of the Statute
The Statute may be amended by resolution of the GA. Proposal for amendment may also be initiated by the Board or by written request of ten members to be sent to the President at least 60 days before the date of the GA. The President shall, in turn, inform the members of any proposed amendment at least 30 days before the meeting. The GA shall take decision on any amendment by a two-thirds majority of members present.
Article XII. Dissolution
UNeECC may be dissolved by a vote taken at a General Assembly or by resolution submitted to the President in writing for which a two-thirds majority of the full members, whose subscriptions have been duly paid, is required.
In the event of dissolution, the assets of UNeECC shall be returned to the member universities and membe institutions, according to their past contributions, unless the GA shall determine otherwise.
Article XIII. Effective Date
This Statute becomes effective on the date of its adoption by the General Assembly through a majority vote.
The authorized version of the Statute is the one above formulated in the English language.
The Statute was adopted by the General Assembly in Pécs, Hungary on December 3rd, 2006
Download the statute pdf version from here.